Master’s Program „Responsibility in Science, Engineering and Technology“
This M.A. program is funded by the Elite Network of Bavaria.
The Science Technology and Society Department (STS Department), formerly known as the Munich Center for Technology in Society (MCTS), introduced its latest Master’s program called „Responsibility in Science, Engineering and Technology“ (M.A. RESET) in October 2017. Responsibility is a vital issue for contemporary highly technologized societies. The environmental sustainability of novel materials and means of energy production, questions of accountability related to autonomous vehicles, and the impact of digitization on democracy are just a few examples that illustrate a growing need to address questions of responsible research and innovation as well as corporate responsibility.
The RESET Master’s program teaches you how to communicate between disciplinary and institutional boundaries and to address societal responsibilities of the technosciences. Its innovative curriculum and interdisciplinary faculty convey the knowledge and tools necessary to understand and anticipate the consequences of established and emerging technologies, and to contribute to responsible research and innovation. The program addresses how we can negotiate, accept, and distribute responsibility for the technological challenges we are facing and deal with questions such as:
- What do we mean by “responsibility” in the context of science and technology?
- Who needs to be involved and which forms of knowledge production are necessary for the development of responsible decision-making practices?
- Which social challenges do emerging technologies create?
- How do notions of responsibility differ across cultural and policy contexts?
- How can we collectively govern and shape science and technology to further social goals?
- How can we democratize the governance of science and technology?
RESET offers a practice-oriented graduate education for students interested in both the technical and social aspects of responsibility in today’s highly technologized societies.
At a glance
- Program Master in Responsibility in Science, Engineering and Technology
- Degree Type Master of Arts (M.A.)
- Duration 4 semesters, full-time program
- Language English