Dr. Carlos Cuevas Garcia
I am a social scientist interested in the relationships between human and social life and the production and consumption of science and technology. I started my academic training studying sociology in Mexico and science and technology studies (or STS) in the United Kingdom at the University of Nottingham, where I obtained my master and doctoral degrees. I have carried out research looking at the development of interdisciplinary academic careers and the management of interdisciplinarity in academic institutions; at the emergence of interdisciplinary fields with a particular focus on biofabrication; and currently at co-creation practices in robotics as part of a project called SCALINGS, funded by the European Commission.
- Instruments to foster innovation (co-creation, interdisciplinarity, transdisciplinarity)
- Governance of research and innovation
- Care, responsibility and generosity in technoscience
- Cuevas-Garcia, Carlos (2018). “Understanding Interdisciplinarity in Its Argumentative Context: Thought and Rhetoric in the Perception of Academic Practices.” Interdisciplinary Science Reviews 43(4): 54-73 https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/03080188.2016.1264133?needAccess=true&journalCode=yisr20#metrics-content
- Cuevas-Garcia, Carlos (2015). ‘I have never cared for particular disciplines’ – Negotiating an interdisciplinary self in biographical narrative. Contemporary Social Science, 10(1): 86-98. https://doi.org/10.1080/21582041.2014.974664
- Cuevas-Garcia, Carlos (2016) Sense-making and self-making in interdisciplinarity: an analysis of dilemmatic discourses of expertise. PhD thesis, University of Nottingham. http://eprints.nottingham.ac.uk/33552/
- McGettigan T. and Cuevas-Garcia C.A. (2011). Rough Seas – Ethnography and Academic Freedom on the Scholar Ship. Lanham: University Press of America. https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780761856108/Rough-Seas-Enthnography-and-Academic-Freedom-on-the-Scholar-Ship
- “Scaffolding expertise: from expectations to interventions in the development of biofabrication”. Biennial meeting, European Association for the Study of Science and Technology (EASST), Lancaster, UK, 25-28 Jul.
- “Situating three-dimensional cell micro-environments in their institutional and regulatory macro-environment. The challenge of regulating regulatory objects”. 17th Science and Democracy Network Meeting, Munich, 27-30 Jun.
- “An introduction to Science and Society”. Lecture for the Biofabrication MSc students, University of Würzburg, Germany.
- “Playing down the hype of 3D bioprinting”. Annual meeting, Society of Social Studies of Science (4S), Boston, US. 30 Aug – 2 Sep.
- “More than words: an argumentative toolkit for interdisciplinary initiatives”. Science in Public Conference, Sheffield, UK. 10-12 Jul.
- Society for the Social Studies of Science (4S)
- European Association for the Study of Science and Technology (EASST)
- 2015 Postgraduate representative of the year, University of Nottingham
- 2015 2nd prize best Ph.D. publication, School of Sociology and Social Policy
- 2011-2015 National scholarship, Mexican Council on Science and Technology (CONACYT)
- 2010-2011 National scholarship, Mexican Council on Science and Technology (CONACYT)
- 2009 ‘Mención honorífica’, Universidad Autónoma del Estado de Hidalgo
- 2008 Scholarship for ‘The Scholar Ship’