M.A. Silvan Pollozek
Doctoral CandidateDigital Media
Silvan studied Cultural Studies, Sociology and Gender Studies at the Universities Leipzig and Munich. From the very beginning he was involved in empirical research projects, such as on working arrangements of entrepreneurial families or on tacit-knowledge of correction officers. In his master thesis he analyzed devices and material arrangements of screening facilities and the multiple constructions of dangerous bodies. Since 2015 he is at the digital media lab at MCTS and his PhD project focuses on infrastructures and logistics of contemporary European migration and border control in Greece. Silvan is interested in the process of European integration through infrastructures, devices and logistics of control and STS methods.
- Technologies of migration and border control
- Logistics and flows of control
- Infrastructure studies
- European ‘statehood’ and integration
- Practice theory
- STS methods
- WS 2018/19: Europe by Design? Digital Infrastructures for an Interoperable Europe, TUM.
- WS 2017/18: Controlling Flows: Exploring the Past, Present and Future of Logistics in TechnoSocieties, TUM.
- WS 2017/18: Technology, Society and Security: Current risks and challenges, TUM.
- WS 2016/17: Basics STS Methods, TUM. WS 2016/17: Making a Mess with Methods, TUM.
- SS 2016: Digitale Infrastrukturen, Standards und Interoperabilität, TUM.
- WS 2015/16: Von Tron zu TED Talks (Wissenschaft und Technik in den Medien), TUM.
- WS 2013/14: Tutorium für die Vorlesung Einführung in die Soziologie, LMU.
- SS 2013: Tutorium für die Vorlesung Soziologische Theorien, LMU.
- Pollozek, Silvan: Counter-mapping in institutional ecologies of European border control, EXCHANGE workshop: Care, Critique, Correction? Engaging with Migration & Crime Control Infrastructures, University of Minho, Braga, Portugal,14 November 2019.
- Pollozek, Silvan: Turning unknown arrivals into processable subjects. Devices of truth assessment at Moria hotspot, conference: Diginauts. Border dissidence, digital resistance & the production of irregularized migrants, University of Kopenhagen/IT University of Kopenhagen, Kopenhagen, 24-25 October 2019.
- Pollozek, Silvan & Passoth, Jan-Hendrik: Infrastructuring European Border Control in Greece, lecture: Institutskolloquium „Mauern/überschreiten“. Daten, Grenzen, Verflechtungen: Infrastrukturen und Praktiken der Migrationsregulierung in mediterranen “Hot Spots” und auf See, Humboldt University Berlin, 22 October 2019.
- Pollozek, Silvan: Infrastructuring the Circulation of Data in the Realm of European Migration and Border Control. Synchronisationsarbeit beim Frontex Informationssystem JORA, conference: German Congress for Geography, University of Kiel, 29 September 2019.
- Pollozek, Silvan: Oligopticons, templates and plug-ins. Reassembling European border control, conference: Nordic Science and Technology Studies Conference 2019, University of Tampere, 14 June 2019.
- Pollozek, Silvan: Researching the Travel of Information within Institutional Ecologies of European Border Control, conference: A mobilities lens to the human mobility-environment nexus, University of Wageningen, 6-7 June 2019.
- Pollozek, Silvan: Oligopticons, templates and plug-ins. Reassembling European border control, paper workshop: Infrastructuring Migration. Contributions and challenges for the study of technology and mobility, University of Linköping, 7-8 May 2019.
- Pollozek, Silvan: Infrastructuring European Border Control in Greece, MCTS Doctoral Colloquium #mytopic.in.society, Technical University of Munich, 22 February 2019.
- Pollozek, Silvan: Drawing things together at Moria Registration and Identification Center. On organizing and modes of infrastructures of European Migration and Border Management, conference: How can Science and Technology Studies help to reflect on the political crisis associated with refugees and asylum seekers?, University of Coimbra, 27 September 2018.
- Pollozek, Silvan: Producing accessible data, reactualizing datasets and synchronizing data practices. Inscribing temporal and normative orderings into the information infrastructure Frontex Joint Operation Reporting Application, conference: On time. Temporal and normative ordering of mobilities, University of Siegen,13 September 2018.
- Pollozek, Silvan: Situating framing, overflowing and surprise in organizational processes. On interplays of bodies, technologies and scripts. Conference of the European Group for Organizational Studies (EGOS), Tallinn, 05 July 2018.
- Pollozek, Silvan: Information infrastructures of apodemics. Frontex Information System PeDRA and the production of knowledge of traveling and migration routes, conference of the Società Italiana di Studi su Scienza e Tecnologia (STS Italia), University of Padua, 14 June 2018.
- Pollozek, Silvan: Reform to enable support. Frontex’ interventions in Greece and their role on infrastructures of European border and migration management, 8th Tensions of Europe Conference, Athens, 08 September 2017.
- Pollozek, Silvan: Logistics of Migration. Governing people, flows and risks in European Migration Management, MCTS Doctoral Colloquium #mytopic.in.society, Technical University of Munich, 27 July 2017.
- Pollozek, Silvan und Jan-Hendrik Passoth: Data Collection and the Logi(stic)s of Migration, conference: Peopling Europe through Data Practices, Tate Modern und Goldsmiths College, London, 17 March 2017.
- European Group for Organizational Studies (EGOS)
- European Association for the Study of Science and Technology (EASST)
- Student Member of the DGS Dissertations-Preiskommission 2012/13, 2013/14
- Award for the best thesis 2011 at the Institute of Cultural studies, University of Leipzig
- Scholar of the Studienstiftung des deutschen Volkes (German Research Association) (2009-2014)