Dr. Nils Matzner
Post DocSociology of Science
Nils Matzner researches and teaches governance and responsibility of new climate technologies, as well as interdisciplinary, mixed methods, discourse and network research. He studied Political Science at RWTH Aachen University. He worked in 2011 and from 2012 to 2014 at the RWTH Aachen University and from 2011 to 2012 at the Goethe University Frankfurt. Further, he worked from 2014 to 2020 at the University of Klagenfurt in a research project funded by the German Research Foundation in its Priority Program 1689 on Climate Engineering. In 2019 he earned his doctoral degree in Science and Technology Studies. Since 2020 he works at the MCTS as a post doc researcher and since 2022 in the project BioNET.
- Science and Technology Studies (MCTS)
- Governance of climate engineering
- Anticipatory governance and responsible research
- Discourse research and mixed methods
- Network analysis and the analysis of social media
- Responsible Research and Innovation (RRI)
- Governance of emerging technologies
- Gender and science
- PROLAB – Living Labs as prototypical milieus, 09.2018 – 08.2021
- Barben, Daniel; Matzner, Nils (2020): Anticipatory Governance of Climate Engineering. Ed. Hans von Storch (Oxford Research Encyclopedia of Climate Science). Online https://oxfordre.com/climatescience/view/10.1093/acrefore/9780190228620.001.0001/acrefore-9780190228620-e-69.
- Matzner, Nils; Barben, Daniel (2020): Climate Engineering as a Communication Challenge: Contested Notions of Responsibility Across Expert Arenas of Science and Policy. In: Science Communication 42 (1), pp. 61–89, DOI: 10.1177/1075547019899408.
- Matzner, Nils; Barben, Daniel (2018): Verantwortungsvoll das Klima manipulieren? Unsicherheit und Verantwortung im Diskurs um Climate Engineering. In Nina Janich, Lisa Rhein (Ed.): Unsicherheit als Herausforderung für die Wissenschaft. Berlin: Peter Lang, pp. 143–178.
- Matzner, Nils; Herrenbrück, Robert (2017): Simulating a Climate Engineering Crisis. Climate Politics Simulated by Students in Model United Nations. In Simulation & Gaming 48 (2), pp. 268–290, DOI: 10.1177/1046878116680513.
- Klepper, Gernot; Dovern, Jonas; Rickels, Wilfried; Barben, Daniel; Goeschl, Timo; Harnisch, Sebastian et al. (2016): Herausforderung Climate Engineering. Bewertung neuer Optionen für den Klimaschutz. In Kieler Beiträge zur Wirtschaftspolitik (8), pp. 1–51. Available online at https://www.ifw-kiel.de/pub/wipo/resolveUid/347943cd894101c49c5c3ca41a31a5c5.
- Matzner, Nils (2015): Engineering the Climate. Politik und Planung der Klimaintervention. In Matthias Koch, Christian Köhler, Julius Othmer, Andreas Weich (Ed.): Planlos! Zu den Grenzen von Planbarkeit. 1st ed. Paderborn: Fink, pp. 165–179.
Completed Research Projects
- DFG SPP 1689 – Climate Engineering – Risks, Callenges, Opportunities?, (2013 – 2019)
More information about teaching can be found here.
MCTS Austria Prize for the best publications by early career researchers 2020