PD Dr. Hajo Greif
Senior ResearcherDigital Media
Dr. Hajo Greif is Senior Scientist at the Post/Doc Lab Digital Media of the MCTS since, with a research project on forms of computer simulations in Artificial Intelligence. M.A. in Philosophy, J.W. Goethe University, Frankfurt am Main 1997. Doctorate in Philosophy within the interdisciplinary DFG graduate school “Technology and Society” at TU Darmstadt, 2004. Work in non-academic social research on technology, 2005-2008. Assistant Professor at the Department of Science and Technology Studies, Alpen-Adria-Universität Klagenfurt, 2009-2013, habilitation 2015. FWF-Erwin-Schrödinger-Fellow at MCTS and at Alpen-Adria-University Klagenfurt, with the research project “From Artificial to Ambient Intelligence”, 2013-2016. As of late 2018, Research Assistant Professor at the Department of Philosophy and Ethics in Administration, Warsaw University of Technology.
- situated cognition and cognitive artefacts (‘4E’ cognition, smart environments)
- history and philosophy of cognitive science (AI vs Cybernetics)
- naturalism in the philosophy of mind (teleosemantics, evolution of cognition)
Present and recent:
- Philosophy of Science and Technology (STS2), MA Curriculum STS – in English; Winter 2017, Winter 2018
- Data/Science/Society, with Bernhard Maier, MSc curricula “Data Science and Engineering” and “Mathematics in Data Science” – in English; Winter 2017, Summer 2018, Winter 2018
- On What There Is, MA Curricula STS and RESET, Summer 2018
- “Proper Functions and the Meaning of Adaptation”, invited paper, The Future of Teleosemantics conference, Bielefeld University, September 7, 2018.
- “The Verum Factum Principle and the Technological Nature of Science”, 7th Biennial Conference of the Society for Philosophy of Science in Practice (SPSP 2018), Ghent, Belgium, June 30–July 2, 2018
- “Modes of Modelling Minds. A Taxonomy of Simulations in Artificial Intelligence”, Annual Meeting of the International Association for Computing and Philosophy (IACAP 2018), Warszawa, Poland, June 21–23, 2018
- “Images and Consequents. Modes of Modelling and Simulation in Artificial Intelligence”, Models and Simulations 8 Conference (MS8), Columbia, SC, USA, March 15–17, 2018
- “Language, Tools, Pictures, and the Evolution of Cognition”, Third Trends in Interdisciplinary Science Conference “Understanding Social Cognition” (TIS 2017), Lublin, Poland, October 20–22, 2017
- “The Reality of Augmented Reality”, 20th biennial meeting of the Society for Philosophy and Technology (SPT) “The Grammar of Things” (SPT2017), Darmstadt, Germany, June 14–17, 2017