Dr. Alexander Wentland
Head of Research GroupInnovation Research
Alexander Wentland is the head of the “Transforming Mobility and Society” (TraMS) Lab, which is closely affiliated with the Munich Cluster for the Future of Mobility in Metropolitain Regions (MCube). He is also project co-leader in the DFG-funded project Understanding Regional Innovation Cultures. His work focuses on the politics of innovation, sustainability transformations (esp. mobility), and regional industrial legacies. In his doctoral thesis at TU Berlin, he examined the relationship between political discourse, local assemblages, and cultural imagination related to the electrification of transportation. He holds a Magister degree in Political Science from TU Dresden and a Master’s degree in Sociology from the New School for Social Research.
- Regional diversity in innovation
- Epistemic governance of economic transformations
- Mobility, transportation, infrastructures
- Sociotechnical imaginaries and futures
- Political sociology
- Responsible Mobility Governance and Innovation (ReMGo), 11.2021-11.2024
- MCube, 11.2021-11.2024
- Traveling Imaginaries of Innovation,
- Wentland, Alexander, and Manuel Jung. 2021. “Der Asynchrone Weg Zur Urbanen Mobilitätswende.” TATuP – Zeitschrift Für Technikfolgenabschätzung in Theorie Und Praxis 30(1):23–28. doi: 10.14512/tatup.30.1.23.
- Klimburg-Witjes, Nina, and Alexander Wentland. 2021. “Hacking Humans?: Social Engineering and the Construction of the ‘Deficient User’ in Cybersecurity Discourses.” Science, Technology & Human Values. doi: 10.1177/0162243921992844.
- Wentland, Alexander. 2020. “Warum Elektrische Utopien Festgefahren Sind: Das Imaginary Automobilität Als Grenze Der Verkehrswende Am Beispiel Der Elektromobilität in Deutschland.” Behemoth: A Journal on Civilization 13(1):70–82. doi: 10.6094/behemoth.2020.13.1.1037.
Engels, Franziska, Alexander Wentland, and Sebastian M. Pfotenhauer. 2019. “Testing Future Societies? Developing a Framework for Test Beds and Living Labs as Instruments of Innovation Governance.” Research Policy 48(9):103826. doi: 10.1016/j.respol.2019.103826.
- Wentland, Alexander. 2017. “An Automobile Nation at the Crossroads: Reimagining Germany’s Car Society through the Electrification of Transportation.” Pp. 137–65 in Imagined futures in science, technology and society. Vol. 34, Routledge Studies in Science, Technology and Society, edited by G. Verschraegen, F. Vandermoere, L. Braeckmans, and B. Segaert. London: Routledge.
Wentland, Alexander. 2016. “Imagining and enacting the future of the German energy transition: Electric vehicles as grid infrastructure.” Innovation: The European Journal of Social Science Research 29(3):285–302. doi:10.1080/13511610.2016.1159946.