This section is currently under construction. If you are interested in pursuing a doctorate at the STS Department, please reach out with all relevant information to one of our professors as potential supervisors. If you have questions regarding admission requirements or regulations, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Various institutions and bodies are involved in organizing the doctoral program and looking after the interests of doctoral candidates.
Integrative Graduate Center TechnoScienceStudies
The MCTS organizes its doctoral studies through the Integrative Graduate Center TechnoScienceSctudies (IGC TSS). Founded in the 2014/15 winter semester, the Graduate Center provides structures and events for training the next generation of researchers. The goal is to develop and expand interdisciplinary and technical-reflexive perspectives in doctoral theses through TUM’s training and supervision frameworks. This is both for doctoral candidates at the MCTS and for interested scholars from both in and outside TUM.
The IGC TSS is the first point of contact for doctoral candidates when it comes to issues relating to:
The IGC TSS is represented via:
- Administration and strategic development
- Development of supervision and training frameworks
- Allocation of funds and resources
- Management Guidance
- Organization and Planning
- Members of the Integrative Graduate Center TechnoScienceStudies have the possibiliy to actively get involved in decision-making within the interest of the doctoral candidates
- Doctoral Representatives are members at the Graduate Council which takes on the interests of the doctoral candidates. Doctoral Representatives are voting members within the Management Board IGC TSS. Futhermore they can contribute to measures taken by the Graduate Center.
- The MCTS Doctoral Representatives are voted by a secret online election once a year. Every doctoral candidate who is a memeber of the IGC TSS is able to vote and can stand for election.
MCTS as a degree-awarding institution
The MCTS has an interdisciplinary orientation and is well-connected with all other departments at TUM. For this reason, doctoral candidates come from various fields and work on different subject areas. Doctoral candidates work and study under the umbrella of TechnoScienceStudies, which aims to advance research on and with technoscientific fields. .
Depending on the subject-specific focus of the doctoral project, candidates can pursue any of the doctoral degrees awarded at TUM.
At the same time, as an Integrative Research Center, the MCTS has the right to confer doctoral degrees and awards the following titles
- Dr. phil.
- Dr. rer. pol.
- Dr. rer. soc.
- Dr. oec. publ.
- Dr. iur.
The MCTS doctoral committee plays an important role in the doctoral examination procedure:
MCTS Doctoral Committee
- All the duties and responsibilities assigned to a Department Council, in accordance with the regulations for the awarding of doctoral degrees, especially:
- The appointment of the examination board
Ombudsperson for doctoral candidates IGC TSS
- Support of good academic practice
- Regulation of conflicts in supervisory relationships
Rules and Regulations of the Institutions Involved
All procedures relating to doctorate applications, admissions, administration and examinations at the MCTS are based on: